Tuesday, March 17, 2009

"Sample" letter to the board

March 13, 2009

Dear Board of Trustees:

Monday, March 9, 2009 was a sad day in education. A day that five people whose role is to maintain the educational integrity made a decision that truly stunned a district and the members of this community. A decision to remove a person who is, by all definitions, the epitome of an innovative, effective educational leader. I know you know whom I am referring to because you very rarely come across a person with the caliber as Karen Janney.

The “Golden Rule” in my classroom is, “To be and do your best, always…even when no one is watching.” What a concept, don’t you think? So how does that play out, when behind closed doors, out of the earshot of everyone who would ultimately feel the rippling effect of such a decision, a conversation about the quality of Karen Janney comes up? I am trying to get my mind around it. Frankly, I cannot begin to imagine what could have possibly been said that would warrant anything of the like. Could it have been how Karen has been in this district since 1978 positively influencing everyone she comes into contact with – educators, students, parents, and community members alike?

Could it be the genuine thought, planning, and time she put into our district’s strategic plan or the success of the common calendar after years of others’ attempts to do the same. Wait, maybe you didn’t realize her role in that. Not surprising, because that’s Karen. She is not boastful; she does not stand up and demand credit, even when it is due. No, she is willing to do great work, hard work, with heart and soul, and stand back and let someone like Dr. Gandara take all the credit.

While I was in disbelief when I heard Dr. Gandara brought this to the board, I still had faith. I truly believed that there was no way on earth this could ever go through. Could I have been so wrong? My heart sank at the news and the first and foremost thought in my mind was, “I have lost hope for humanity. This is a very sad day in education.” He must have been so empowered as you fulfilled his wishes.

I am disappointed with Arlie Ricasa, a board member who stood in up front of an auditorium full of educators my first year here and spoke about her commitment to this district, and how she had a personal investment as she is a mother of five children who attend school in this district. She was convincing, I believed her. She should know better.

I am disappointed in Jim Cartmill, a Bonita graduate who has known Karen since he was in high school, who has been witness to her character and her accomplishments at every level. He should know better.

I am disappointed in Bertha Lopez, a newly elected board member, who obviously did not do her homework about this district and who the steadfast forces are who have gotten it to where it is.

This may have been Dr. Gandara’s “moment” of glory, but that is exactly what it was, a moment. People who care about this district are not going to roll over and play dead. They are willing to write, to march, to say enough is enough, and to stand up for themselves and others they see as victims to such decisions that you had on the table and within your power to do what was right, and you did not. You have created an enduring legacy for yourselves…not one to be proud of.

Sincerely,
Teacher

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.