Sunday, May 10, 2009

Regular Board Agenda for May 11 6:30

After the public/community has their 2-3 minutes to talk to items in closed session agenda, the board removes itself to a back room and discusses important things.  Lately, the pre-closed session talking points have lasted at  least an hour as labor negotiations, random removal of administrators and other topics spark commentary from the community and Sweetwater family at large.
Conveniently, the board remains ensconced well past dinner time and dedicated community members must choose between a night at home with their families or waiting outside in the dark and chilly evening.  Usually, the room opens up and one can avail oneself of the lit, warm room where one can actually hear and see what is going on.  (ojo--the ants will eat any food you happen to bring in with you; bring food in sealed containers.)
Finally, it is time for the regular meeting. * See agenda below.  Looks like a long night...
After that, once again, the board retires itself for more discussion.  Finally, the evening ends with the board ushering itself back into the board room and announcing the results of their final closed session.  It is worth waiting around for these days.
Here is the Regular Board Meeting  agenda:
Agenda for
05/11/2009 Regular Board Meeting - 6:30 p.m.
1. OPENING PROCEDURES

A. Call to Order

B. Roll Call

C. Closed Session (Meeting Notice)

D. Moment of Silence

E. Pledge of Allegiance
2. BOARD PRESENTATIONS OR ANNOUNCEMENTS OF AWARDS

A. Recognition of Hilltop High School for placing first in the Academic Decathlon and Southwest High School for placing first in the Academic League

B. Recognition of SUHSD Communities of Excellence members for their outstanding service to the community and for being named a San Diego Public Health Champion

C. Recognition of Margaret Sedor for being named a 2009 California Delegate to the National Association of School Psychologists

D. Recognition of Bob McKinney for receiving a 2009 Outstanding Service Award from the California Speech and Hearing Association, District 9

E. Recognition of Sound Unlimited for receiving top awards at the Showstoppers Invitational Orlando

F. Recognition of Kiera Murphy for serving as the 2008-2009 student board representative
3. BOND OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE REPORT

A. Bond Oversight Committee Report
4. PUBLIC COMMUNICATION

A. Public Communication
5. FORMATION AND APPROVAL OF CONSENT AGENDA

A. Formation and approval of consent agenda
6-A. SUPERINTENDENT DISCUSSION ITEMS

A-01. Adoption of Minutes. (F/I: None.)

A-02. Calendar for Board of Trustees - 2009. (F/I: None.)

A-03. Report on policy direction to staff for information/discussion. (F/I: None.)

A-04. Approve Report on Consultant Agreements totaling $2,500 and under. (F/I: None.)
6-B. INSTRUCTIONAL SUPPORT SERVICES/SPECIAL SESSIONS DISCUSSION ITEMS

B-01. Approve renewal of application and agreement for funding of the “Reading is Fundamental” (RIF) Program for the 2009-2010 school year. (F/I: $32,012, RIF Fund.)

B-02. Approve MOU between Project Lead the Way and the SUHSD for Project Lead the Way-Biomedical Sciences Program at SOH. (F/I: $86,653, Title I, UCSD, and RAHSI Grants.)

B-03.* Report on Williams Settlement Findings for 2008-2009 site visits (F/I: None.)

B-04. Approve submission of the School Assistance and Intervention Team (SAIT) Seventh Progress Report for Montgomery High School, 2007-2009. (F/I: None.)

B-05.* Report on the Chancery program.

B-06.* Report on the DataDirector program from the educational technology department.

B-07.* Report on library services.
6-C. STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES DISCUSSION ITEMS

C-01. Report on excursions and field trips. (F/I: None.)

C-02.* Report on peer counseling program. (F/I: None.)
6-D. ALTERNATIVE EDUCATION DISCUSSION ITEMS

None.
6-E. ADULT EDUCATION DISCUSSION ITEMS

E-01. Approve agreement with Boston Reed Company to provide a Pharmacy Technician Training Program to the SUHSD, Division of Adult Education. (F/I: None.)

E-02. Approve agreement with Boston Reed Company to provide a Phlebotomy Training Program to the SUHSD, Division of Adult Education. (F/I: None.)

E-03. Approve agreement between Southwestern Community College and SUHSD, Parent Education Program for the purpose of the AmeriCorps School Readiness Program. (F/I: None.)

E-04. Approve new course descriptions for the Division of Adult Education. (F/I: None.)

E-05. Approve revised course descriptions for the Division of Adult Education. (F/I: None.)
6-F. FISCAL SERVICES DISCUSSION ITEMS

F-01. Approve Report on Consultant Agreements Over $2,500. (F/I: None.)

F-02. Ratify warrants in payment of salaries and invoices written from the funds of the district, and checks in payment of invoices written from the cafeteria account for the month of April 2009. (F/I: $33,934,954.61, Various.)

F-03. Ratify donations to the district in accordance with Resolution No. 2501, and accept Report on Donations. (F/I: None.)

F-04. Progress report on construction spending for new construction and modernization projects. (F/I: None.)

F-05. Report on Quarterly Financial Disclosure Statements for the Sweetwater Union High School District. (F/I: None.)

F-06. Report on Quarterly Financial Disclosure Statements for the Mello-Roos Community Facilities Districts. (F/I: None.)

F-07. Authorize district memberships in various associations for fiscal year 2009-2010, effective May 12, 2009, through June 30, 2010. (F/I: $66,391, G.F.; $3,865, Ad. Ed.)

F-08.* Report on Budget Workshop V. (F/I: None.) WITHDRAWN BY STAFF - TO BE CONSIDERED AT THE MAY 27, 2009, SPECIAL BOARD MEETING.

F-09. Approve/ratify professional conference and workshop expenses of district employees. (F/I: $5,537.48, Various Funds.)

F-10.* Approve recommended budget reductions. (F/I: $1,150,000 in Budget Reductions.) WITHDRAWN BY STAFF - TO BE CONSIDERED AT THE MAY 27, 2009, SPECIAL BOARD MEETING.
6-G. HUMAN RESOURCES DISCUSSION ITEMS

G-01. Approve/ratify certificated personnel recommendations for employment, change of status, and separations as submitted. (F/I: See Below.)

G-02. Approve/ratify classified personnel recommendations for employment, change of status, and separations as submitted. (F/I: See Below.)

G-03. Approve the salary ranges/workdays for new management job descriptions adopted as part of the district reorganization on March 9, 2009. (F/I: None.)

G-04. Approve the Common Calendar employee work year. (F/I: To be provided.) WITHDRAWN BY STAFF - TO BE CONSIDERED AT THE MAY 27, 2009, SPECIAL BOARD MEETING.

G-05.* Accept the recommendation of the hearing officer from the Office of Administrative Hearings on the district’s resolution to lay-off certain certificated employees. (F/I: None.)

G-06.* Approve lay-off of certificated employees. (F/I: None.)
6-H. PLANNING AND FACILITIES DISCUSSION ITEMS

H-01. Authorize staff to execute the Construction Services Agreement, Site Lease and Sublease with Turner Construction Company for construction of the Proposition O Chula Vista High School Project 1. (F/I: $18,390,708, Prop O.)

H-02. Authorize staff to execute the Construction Services Agreement, Site Lease and Sublease with Sundt Construction, Inc., for construction of the Proposition O Sweetwater High School Project 1. (F/I: $31,375,940, Prop O.)

H-03.* Approve contract for Project 1 at National City Middle School. (F/I: $6,998,000, Prop O.)
6-I. PURCHASING DISCUSSION ITEMS

I-01. Ratify purchase orders issued for the period of April 1, 2009, through April 30, 2009, and purchase order adjustments for the period April 1, 2009, through April 30, 2009. (F/I: $6,116,853.19, Various.)

I-02. Approve the renewal of designated contracts. (F/I: $2,748,813.92, General Fund.)
6-J. OPERATIONS/OTHER BUSINESS DISCUSSION ITEMS

None.
6-K. POLICY REVIEW

K-01. Approve revised Board Policy 1312.3, Uniform Complaint Procedures. (F/I: None.)

K-02. Approve revised Administrative Regulation 1330, Use of School Facilities, and approve updated three tiered Schedule of Fees. (F/I: None.)
6-L. PUBLIC HEARINGS

None.
6-M. RESOLUTIONS

M-01.* Renew annual Resolution Nos. 2473, 2474, and 2475, Authorizing Designated Agents to Act on Behalf of the District for Fiscal Year 2009-2010. (F/I: None.)

M-02.* Renew annual Resolution No. 2487, Authorizing Temporary Transfer of Funds for Maintenance Purposes; and annual Resolution No. 2581, Authorizing Temporary Transfer of Funds for Payment of Obligations. (F/I: None.)

M-03.* Adopt annual Resolution No. 3822, Resolution Authorizing the County Office of Education Credentials Department to Release Credential Held Warrants to Employees. (F/I: None.)

M-04.* Adopt Resolution No. 3902, Authorizing Cooperative Contracting on Behalf of the Sweetwater Union High School District Pursuant to Bids and Awards Made by PEPPM. (F/I: None.)

M-05.* Adopt Resolution No. 3908, Approving A District Emergency Waiver – Public Project. (F/I: None.)
6-N. MELLO-ROOS RESOLUTIONS

None.
6-O. BOARD MEMBER REPORTS/TRAVEL

None.
7. BOARD COMMUNICATION

A. Board Communication
8. ADJOURNMENT

A. Adjournment

No comments: